Sunday, December 20, 2009

Raisin Sauce

This recipe comes from a dear friend of my Mother's, who was from England. This is an old family recipe of hers that goes back many generations.  It is traditionally served with ham. Once you have raisin sauce with your ham, you might not want to have it any other way! 

1/2 C. brown sugar - packed
1 tsp. dry Coleman's mustard
2 Tbsp. corn starch
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
1 1/2 C. water
1/2 to 3/4 C. raisins

In a large saucepan, mix brown sugar, mustard and corn starch.  On low heat, slowly add vinegar, lemon juice and water.  Mix until smooth, and add raisins.  Continue to stir until thickened.  Serve with ham, or pork roast.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Diane - congratulations on getting your blog onto the Foodie BlogRoll. I don't always look at every new blog listed, but your blog name caught my eye. I'm commenting about the raisin sauce - I think my mother used to make it for ham dinners when I was young. I liked it. BUT, if you're interested, I've found a fabulous mustard sauce that is now my standby - always - on the rare occasions when I bake a ham. It's at this link:
    http://tastingspoons.com/archives/426/

    ReplyDelete