Saturday, December 12, 2009

Mystery Cake

This cake recipe is from a very old recipe card.  I'm not sure where it came from, as I don't recognize the handwriting.  So even THAT is a mystery. haha.   This recipe would be excellent to serve for a vegetarian/vegan treat.  There's  no mention of a frosting for this cake, but a simple, light dusting of powdered sugar is excellent.

1.) 

2 Tbsp. shortening
1 C. sugar
1 can condensed tomato soup

2.)

2 C. flour (cake flour is what's on the card)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. ground clove
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder

3.)

1 C. raisins or chopped dates
1 C. nuts  (the type of nuts is not specified, but pecans or walnuts are yummy)

Cream together mixture #1. and set aside.  Sift together mixture #2, and add to mixture #1.  Blend thoroughly.  Sprinkly a little flour on mixture #3, to lightly coat.  Fold into batter. 

Pour into an 8" cake pan lined with greased waxed paper.  Bake at 375 degrees Farenheit for 40 to 45 minutes until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Diane! Wish me luck, I'm going to try to make this cake. I'll let you know how it tastes. *crosses fingers*

    ~~Marci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, please do let me know how it turns out! I bought everything to make it for Christmas, but the holidays and the weeks after have just been crazy. (One reason I've not posted much lately).

    ReplyDelete